College Snap Shots

In an effort to provide Burlington High School students and their families with relevant and up-to-date college information, the Guidance Staff will be visiting various colleges and universities and providing you with information. The colleges visited do not represent a preference on the part of the BHS Guidance Department towards any particular school.

In the college search process, many things are taken into consideration. Things that are considered, but not limited to are: campus size, location, number of students on campus, majors, tuition, distance from home, athletic programs, clubs and other activities. When considering a college, students must also make realistic decisions based on personal interest, grades, test scores, etc.

The department feels that the college visit is an integral part of the process, and we strongly encourage students to visit any and all schools that interest them, especially if these schools are fairly close by. The information we provide is only a small snapshot into each respective college. We hope to add information about other schools in the future, and as always we appreciate any feedback that you have that would help us provide our students and their families useful information in the sometimes overwhelming college search process.

Furthermore we ask that students also research colleges by using their Naviance accounts and scheduling meetings with their counselor on a consistent basis. Please feel free to contact your son or daughter's individual counselor if you have any further questions.

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Faculty College Spotlight: Merrimack

This school year, our department is spotlighting the alma maters of teaching staff in our building. Profesora Kristen Duhamel, who teaches Spanish II and III, is a proud alumna of Merrimack College, class of 2014.

Here are her thoughts on Merrimack:

How did you come to choose this college/university?
I chose Merrimack College due to the teacher:student ratio. I wanted a college/university that was a close-knit community where I would have the opportunity to know the faculty, staff, and students well.

In what organizations, clubs, or sports did you participate while there?
At Merrimack I was a member of the Honors Program and A.L.A.N.A., a student-run multicultural society.  Because I commuted, I had an off-campus job umpiring girl's softball and volunteering at a local elementary school in Lawrence. 

What was your favorite class?
My favorite class was Spanish film.

What did you like best about your overall college experience?
What I liked best about my overall college experience was student-choice in regards to what classes I wanted to enroll in. I took classes that ranged from Philosophy to Astronomy, where I did research in Merrimack's observatory with my professor who previously worked for NASA.

How did this particular institution prepare you for your future career and/or help you grow as a learner?
Merrimack College prepared me for a future career as a teacher by giving me the hands-on experience of working with diverse populations. Between my alma maters I have taught/volunteered in 
different districts such as Lawrence and North Andover. Working with these diverse populations has opened my eyes to different cultures other than my own as well as cultures from all around the world.



Why do you recommend your alma mater to BHS students (either to all students or a subset)?
I would recommend Merrimack to students who truly want to be apart of a community. My alma mater is very involved in numerous service learning projects that give back to local communities.

An admissions representative from Merrimack will be visiting BHS on Sept. 18th.



No comments:

Post a Comment