College Snap Shots

In an effort to provide Burlington High School students and their families with relevant and up-to-date college information, the Guidance Staff will be visiting various colleges and universities and providing you with information. The colleges visited do not represent a preference on the part of the BHS Guidance Department towards any particular school.

In the college search process, many things are taken into consideration. Things that are considered, but not limited to are: campus size, location, number of students on campus, majors, tuition, distance from home, athletic programs, clubs and other activities. When considering a college, students must also make realistic decisions based on personal interest, grades, test scores, etc.

The department feels that the college visit is an integral part of the process, and we strongly encourage students to visit any and all schools that interest them, especially if these schools are fairly close by. The information we provide is only a small snapshot into each respective college. We hope to add information about other schools in the future, and as always we appreciate any feedback that you have that would help us provide our students and their families useful information in the sometimes overwhelming college search process.

Furthermore we ask that students also research colleges by using their Naviance accounts and scheduling meetings with their counselor on a consistent basis. Please feel free to contact your son or daughter's individual counselor if you have any further questions.

Friday, November 3, 2017

Faculty College Spotlight: The Pennsylvania State University




Ms. Jill McInerney Graham
Penn State
Bachelor of Science in Biology
2000


How did you come to choose Penn State? Penn State was on a list of about 7 colleges that I visited. I immediately fell in love with the campus on my college tour. I went to a small high school in Downtown Pittsburgh, so I was drawn to the large, sprawling campus that’s kind of in the middle of nowhere!!!

Oh...and the football team is pretty good!










In what clubs or sports did you participate? I participated in a number of intramural sports with my friends, such as flag football and soccer. I was also a member of the Biology Club in order to learn about internships and career opportunities.

What did you like best about your overall college experience? College is all about you! It's your chance to figure out your strengths and your passions and find your niche. The diversity of the classes and the student body at Penn State really allowed me to figure out what I wanted to do in life. My passion for science was fueled by the classes and professors that I had. Additionally, I met some of my best friends during my 4 years here!

How did Penn State prepare you for your future career and/or help you grow as a learner? Penn State has a state-of-the-art science complex where I was able to take a full range of science courses, from Organic Chemistry labs, to a research and discussion based course, Bioethics, to an Environmental class where we spent many weekends camping in and studying the forest. Penn State taught me to be independent, responsible and to never stop learning, and helped to prepare me for a career in the sciences.

Did you have a job on- or off-campus, and what was it? I was employed through the University as a student athlete tutor, which means I helped many of the athletes prepare for their science classes and exams. Over the summers, I worked as a waitress at a resort in Myrtle Beach.

What was your favorite class? My favorite class was a science course that I took during . my senior year called Bioethics. We studied many interesting topics such as GMOs, DNA patenting and Climate Change - many topics I teach in Environmental Science now!

Why do you recommend your alma mater to BHS students? While New England has so many great colleges and universities, and it's a fantastic area to live in, I think it's important to see what else is out there. Penn State is a good school that offers degrees in just about every major you can think of and a few you probably didn't even know existed. The campus life also offers a variety of opportunities for you to try new things and discover new interests.

Anything else you'd like to add or highlight? Study abroad - see the world! During the winter semester of my junior year, I was fortunate to travel with a study abroad program called Semester at Sea. I basically lived on a cruise ship and took classes while we were out at sea. We stopped at 10 ports around the globe where we were immersed in new cultures and experiences.





No comments:

Post a Comment