College Snap Shots

In an effort to provide Burlington High School students and their families with relevant and up-to-date college information, the Guidance Staff will be visiting various colleges and universities and providing you with information. The colleges visited do not represent a preference on the part of the BHS Guidance Department towards any particular school.

In the college search process, many things are taken into consideration. Things that are considered, but not limited to are: campus size, location, number of students on campus, majors, tuition, distance from home, athletic programs, clubs and other activities. When considering a college, students must also make realistic decisions based on personal interest, grades, test scores, etc.

The department feels that the college visit is an integral part of the process, and we strongly encourage students to visit any and all schools that interest them, especially if these schools are fairly close by. The information we provide is only a small snapshot into each respective college. We hope to add information about other schools in the future, and as always we appreciate any feedback that you have that would help us provide our students and their families useful information in the sometimes overwhelming college search process.

Furthermore we ask that students also research colleges by using their Naviance accounts and scheduling meetings with their counselor on a consistent basis. Please feel free to contact your son or daughter's individual counselor if you have any further questions.

Friday, November 17, 2017

Faculty College Spotlight: Westfield State University

Ms. Deb Deacon
Associate Principal
Westfield State University
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration

How did you come to choose Westfield?
I went to visit the campus and fell in love! It was small enough that I would know my professors and not be a number in an auditorium full of students. The campus was gorgeous and had fields and flowers across the street. I could play basketball and swim.

In what organizations, clubs or sports did you participate?
I was involved in several clubs - can't remember them all - and
activities like student government, the j-board (justice), varsity basketball (3 years) and varsity swimming (1 year).

Did you have a job on- or off-campus and what was it?
I babysat for the Athletic Director and I worked some on campus/work study jobs.

What did you like best about your overall college experience?
The friendships I made as many friends are my friends today!

How did this particular college prepare you for your future career and/or help you grow as a learner?
Ironically, Westfield is one of the top teaching colleges, yet I did not take one education course while I was there, despite pleas from my parents. I was going to conquer the business world so why would I need an education class...I was NEVER going to be a teacher!

Why do you recommend your alma mater to BHS students?
Westfield State is an amazing state college, on a beautiful campus that is affordable and offers all students an incredible education. I always like to say I am as successful as my sister and brother who went to Amherst College and Middlebury College, respectively, but I didn't have the student loans they did upon graduation. Westfield offers amazing educational opportunities for students and a host of extra-curricular activities.

Anything else you'd like to highlight or share?
Can I go back...PLEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment