College Snap Shots

In an effort to provide Burlington High School students and their families with relevant and up-to-date college information, the Guidance Staff will be visiting various colleges and universities and providing you with information. The colleges visited do not represent a preference on the part of the BHS Guidance Department towards any particular school.

In the college search process, many things are taken into consideration. Things that are considered, but not limited to are: campus size, location, number of students on campus, majors, tuition, distance from home, athletic programs, clubs and other activities. When considering a college, students must also make realistic decisions based on personal interest, grades, test scores, etc.

The department feels that the college visit is an integral part of the process, and we strongly encourage students to visit any and all schools that interest them, especially if these schools are fairly close by. The information we provide is only a small snapshot into each respective college. We hope to add information about other schools in the future, and as always we appreciate any feedback that you have that would help us provide our students and their families useful information in the sometimes overwhelming college search process.

Furthermore we ask that students also research colleges by using their Naviance accounts and scheduling meetings with their counselor on a consistent basis. Please feel free to contact your son or daughter's individual counselor if you have any further questions.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Faculty College Spotlight: Bryn Mawr


Brighid Holden
Bryn Mawr College AB 2003
Math major, Economics minor

Bryn Mawr is a women's liberal arts college founded in 1885 and located in Bryn Mawr, PA. 




How did you become interested in Bryn Mawr?  I was actually a transfer student.  I was visiting a friend over winter break and saw how different the school was from St. Lawrence University.  It was a welcoming atmosphere with a variety of classes, so I applied.  

In what activities did you participate while on campus? Akoue!  Our student run yearbook - I was editor for two years.  

Did you have a job during college? I worked on and off campus.  I had a local retail job and then got multiple on campus jobs.  I  worked the student and professional help desk junior year.  Senior year I became the help desk manager, homework grader, and Hall Adviser.  

What was your favorite class? My favorite class was Differential Equations (diffy q!).  It was the first time I got to work with modeling software to see the applications of all the formulas we derived.  

What did you like best about your overall college experience? Being an all-women's college, we are steeped in traditions and had a very strong student run government.  However, the best part though was the Honor Code we all followed - in addition to not talking about grades, we had self scheduled exams/quizzes and it was safe to leave your stuff anywhere.  

How did this particular institution prepare you for your future career and/or help you grow as a learner?My college experience taught me to have a voice and make my voice heard.  I was a shy, quiet kid in high school.  Going to a school with women and small class sizes meant I didn't have to hide my intelligence, could voice my opinion, and the teacher's knew my name.  

Why do you recommend Bryn Mawr to BHS students? I know it sounds weird, going to a liberal art's college to get further in STEM, however the math and science's are some of the most popular majors at the school.  For my graduating class, 10% were math majors.  You get individualized attention and opportunities to work directly with professors. 

Anything else you'd like to add? My college fostered the mind, but also the soul.  We build a community that holds strong and supports each other years later.  My advice is this, try a class you weren't expecting.  I went to college intending to be a history major but thanks to one amazing math professor my first semester and a super supportive staff, I became a math major.  Your path in life is not set, so try new classes even those outside your comfort zone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment