College Snap Shots

In an effort to provide Burlington High School students and their families with relevant and up-to-date college information, the Guidance Staff will be visiting various colleges and universities and providing you with information. The colleges visited do not represent a preference on the part of the BHS Guidance Department towards any particular school.

In the college search process, many things are taken into consideration. Things that are considered, but not limited to are: campus size, location, number of students on campus, majors, tuition, distance from home, athletic programs, clubs and other activities. When considering a college, students must also make realistic decisions based on personal interest, grades, test scores, etc.

The department feels that the college visit is an integral part of the process, and we strongly encourage students to visit any and all schools that interest them, especially if these schools are fairly close by. The information we provide is only a small snapshot into each respective college. We hope to add information about other schools in the future, and as always we appreciate any feedback that you have that would help us provide our students and their families useful information in the sometimes overwhelming college search process.

Furthermore we ask that students also research colleges by using their Naviance accounts and scheduling meetings with their counselor on a consistent basis. Please feel free to contact your son or daughter's individual counselor if you have any further questions.

Monday, September 17, 2018

Faculty College Spotlight: Emerson College

Ms. Pam Mackay
English Department
Emerson College
BS in Journalism in 2007

1. How did you come to choose this college/university?
As a high school athlete I knew I wanted to stay connected to athletics. I already wrote for The Devil's Advocate and The Burlington Union. When I decided I wanted to be a sports journalist Mr. Attubato suggested Emerson.




2. In what organizations, clubs, or sports did you participate? 
As a journalist at Emerson you were required to submit work to The Berkley Beacon and create broadcast reports for our school radio station. I also played for the basketball team from my sophomore-senior year.


3. Did you have a job on- or off-campus and what was it? 
I worked at Dunkin Donuts in the Burlington Mall throughout college and continued to work summer camps for the Burlington Recreation Department. Doug Hastings also had me periodically write feature articles for the Union.

4. What was your favorite class?
I like that Emerson made us takes courses on all types of journalism, rather than focusing on one subject matter or medium. I really enjoyed Wartime Journalism. It was a good self-reflective process to wonder if I'd have the courage to enter a war zone as a journalist where I would not be protected. It also provided insight into trying to capture information without becoming biased and the ethical questions of documenting, but not getting involved.

5. What did you like best about your overall college experience?
I LOVED living on Boston Common. The city is an experience unto itself. There's a sense of pride that comes with knowing the T and the crazy lay-out of the streets. Many museums, sporting events, etc. give discounts or free admission to students as well.           

6. How did this particular institution prepare you for your future career and/or help you grow as a learner?
The obvious benefit to my current job is the four years of research and writing experience, which directly connects to skills as an English teacher. However, at Emerson I was surrounded by people who pushed me out of my comfort zone. I watched my peers perform in comedy troupes, bands, plays and create their own films (I was even forced to "act" in a few). It exposed me to people who differed greatly from me and made me more open and understanding of others, which I hope has made me a more compassionate and relatable teacher.   

7. Why do you recommend your alma mater to BHS students?
Emerson is an active school. In retrospect I didn't take advantage as much as I should have in all they offer. However, I loved the school's academic atmosphere as the classes were 20 or less students and lecture halls were 60 or less. In addition, Emerson let me take classes that were specific to my major immediately, rather than piling on GenEds because of my high school grades and test scores. Sorry math, science and history.   

8. Anything else you'd like to add or highlight or advice you'd like to share.
Emerson is a school for passionate people, which is a great fit if you absolutely know what you want to do. However, students who are unsure should find someplace which gives them options to explore more. There is a massive difference between a city school and schools with true campuses and whichever you choose will greatly affect your experiences so know your preference. If you're involved in activities at BHS and unsure about continuing them in college, find somewhere that gives you options. I could've attended Syracuse for journalism, but I couldn't walk onto the basketball team there. I knew I had that opportunity at Emerson if the temptation arose.

No comments:

Post a Comment